Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Sunday Afternoon Bike Ride

I don't get out on my bike as often as I would like. When I do, I always bring the camera, because, hey, you never know what you're going to come across. This picture is a great example. Out for an easy ride on a nice Sunday afternoon I headed down to the tracks to see what I could see. Sundays are usually pretty slow on the railroad around here, so I wasn't expecting anything of interest.

The railroad location of West Springfield (geographically east of east Springfield according to the railroad) is about the closest point on the mainline to home. An industrial branch comes off the main here, and in the distance (visible on the right) is a signal to give some indication of nearby train activity.  I was rather surprised when I pedaled up to see that the signal was lit red, indicating a train was coming my way! Doubly surprised when the train arrived, since this train usually passes through pre-dawn. Triply surprised when I noticed the locomotive in the lead. Not too many of this model were built, and those didn't have long careers. It was an attempt to build a very high horsepower locomotive (6000 vs the more normal 4500), but  the components didn't hold up and they proved problematic for the railroad. It was unusual to see one leading a train.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment